Saturday, July 9, 2011

This Land

Sometimes adventure is inconspicuous, it doesn't always look like a movie, so perfectly sequenced. Sometimes adventure is a day to day thing...waking up every morning just to see how the hills look, realizing that U-turns are your best friend when you are learning your way around a new town, even trying to grasp every day that there is a tiny human growing inside of your sister (no matter how many times I say it, it just isn't real) Yes, sometimes adventure is enough of just watching, absorbing and understanding the environment in which you are placed.

I knew that I could become okay with driving thirty minutes and paying five dollars in tolls every work day when I drove over the hill down into Newport Beach. It was such a clear day that I could see more Sea than I could city. With the Sun reflecting on the Ocean, the entire body of water looked like frost; completely white. And the best thing is to smell the salt in the air, especially when you are taking Pacific Coast Highway home. By far the best part of the Highway is this one little spot where the road curves so drastically inland, you think you will be forced to go off-road and end up with all four wheels locked in the sand on the coast. Before I leave, I want to travel north on PCH as the sun goes down on the ocean. I so quickly decided this when I caught a glimpse in my side view mirror of the beautiful golden hills behind me. This was before I got home and sprinted into my sisters apartment from the parking lot; which was right before Santa's dog started chasing me... There is nothing like living among a place with such great scenery as this. It makes you want to run and run and run, just to know you are getting somewhere. Walking is nice too.

Needless to say, I am embracing my location. I've learned just how much my friends really care about me, and I am so thankful. The temperature is perfect, the air smells sweet, and there is always an giant body of water close by. The spur of the moments thoughts have become the expected, as the planned has only become something that I try to ignore having to readjust myself to in a few months. I feel as if I am on the first leg of my race, I know that me being here has been so perfectly planned for me and I can't wait to see how it will prepare me.

No comments:

Post a Comment